I’ve been talking to a few people lately about daily or weekly affirmations. It’s a terrific process that has given me another opportunity to get to know myself.
I typically do “morning pages” for 10 minutes a day and end with my affirmation list. My process is that I copy and paste it into the daily journal entry (I use Evernote) and read them to myself. Then, I simply let myself feel how strong or how little i feel resistance to each one.
As I do that, I try to spend a few seconds exploring the resistance a bit – what is it objecting to, how strong is it etc. I wrap up by giving myself an overall rating between 1 and 5. A 5 rating means I feel amazing, while 1, or once in a while, 0 is not good.
This list evolved over about a 2 year period and is about 50% different than when i first started. Glancing back, I’ve had a few <2 days and a few more >4.5 days. Most of the time, it’s low 4’s. I had one meltdown a few month ago where I gave myself a -1 million, and then wrote down every curse word I could think of. That helped.
Here’s my list. It’s personal and I realize you may not share any of these with me.
- I deserve a rewarding creative life.
- I am genuinely talented.
- Creativity is the creator’s will for me.
- My creativity heals myself and others.
- My creativity leads me to forgiveness and self-forgiveness.
- I am willing to use my creative talents.
- All I need is within me now.
- I am grateful for my health, for my family, my friends and for this world.
- My creativity flows from being present every day.
- I am not alone, I am loved deeply. I matter.
The resistance is pretty strong as I write this post and read my affirmations. In particular, the resistance is really fighting me on “I’m genuinely talented.” I feel right now like I am a fraud, that these blog posts are total bullshit and that I should delete this post. But I know better and even though the resistance is here, yelling in my head, this post will be published. Fuck you resistance.
2 thoughts to “Daily Affirmations”